Discrepancies between the CMake and autotools configuration
While trying to package bcg729 for Arch Linux, I noticed that the README marked autotools as deprecated and recommended CMake instead. Fair enough, I tried that but noticed some issues:
- Symbols are exported by default. Proposed fix is to add
-fvisibility=hiddenas is done here: https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/bcg729/pull/7
- pkgconfig (.pc) file is not installed. For compatibility with projects using pkg-config, it might be a good idea to install it even with CMake. (Fix is included with the above PR)
- CMake installs libbcg729.so.0 with symlinks libbcg729.so while autotools installs libbcg729.so.0.0.0 with symlinks libbcg729.so and libbcg729.so.0.0. Just an observation.
- -Werror is enabled by default and there is no
While at it, I also noticed an issue with the autotools build:
AC_INITversion still lists 1.0.3 while it should have been 1.0.4.
Aside from those technical issues, the README lacks information on where to report issues and whether contributions are even welcome.